Kidney stones, also known as nephrolithiasis, are hard deposits of minerals and salts. When they pass onto your urinary tract, they cause throbbing pain. Every 10 out of 100 people will have kidney stones in their life span.
There’s no possible way with a 100% surety to prevent kidney stones, but there are some life hacks and medications to lower the risk.
Let’s have a look at these tips:
- Stay hydrated: One main reason for the occurrence of kidney stones is the lack of fluid. Drinking water in enough quantities is extremely important for the health of your kidneys. The lesser water you drink, the lower will be the urine output, which means the lesser clearance of toxins and salts.Citrus juices, e.g., Orange and lemonades, are highly preferred as they have citrate, which prevents stone formation.
- Avoid oxalate containing foods: Oxalate rich foods are the leading cause of kidney stones as many of the stones are composed of calcium oxalate. Some of the foods that are high in calcium are; spinach, green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, peanuts, etc. calcium and oxalate bind together and form calcium oxalate crystals.
- Reduce salt quantities: Sodium rich diet increases your risk of developing kidney stones. According to the studies of the Urology Rich Foundation, the higher the salt concentration of urine, the lesser reabsorption of calcium occurs.
Consider watching this video to know more about how to manage and treat kidney stones….
- Reduce alcohol consumption: Alcohol increases the fluid in urine and causes the release of diluted urine, causing dehydration. Ultimately, increasing the risk of kidney stones.
- Dietary calcium: It’s ironic, but that’s how nature works. Despite the fact that most of the kidney stones contain calcium, but many calcium-containing foods have been shown to lower the risk. E.g., fishes like sardines, tofu, cereals, etc.
- Limit animal protein intake: Uric acid is also the main component of kidney stones. Animal proteins e.g., beef, fish, pork, etc. will make the urine acidic, increasing the risk of uric acid stones.
- Bodyweight: Maintaining healthy body weight is important to prevent several diseases, including kidney stones. Healthy body weight will, in turn, reduce the pressure from kidneys. Lose it, but make sure you opt for the safest way possible. Crash-diets will increase the risk.
- Get enough calcium: Taking calcium in enough quantities is essential. Too little calcium will increase oxalate causing kidney stones.
- Vegetables and fruits: Combine fruits and vegetables with calcium-rich diets. Except for oxalate rich vegetables, other ones can help one in maintaining a healthy weight and prevent the formation of kidney stones. Citric acid-rich fruits are the healthiest diet for this purpose as they contain citrate, which resists stone formation.
- Avoid beverages: Beverages are rich in fructose and other high amounts of sugars. They have been shown to increase the risk of kidney diseases and stones. However, it is encouraged to increase your fluid intake and drink lots and lots of juices, but you need to focus on what you are taking in. Because you are what you eat, a high carb diet will make you sit at a higher risk of developing kidney stones.
There is no conclusive way to prevent them, but a healthy lifestyle is key to prevent several diseases. It’s prophylactic to keep the diseases away. Check your diet, and if you develop stones or feel pain, get yourself checked.
Until Next Time,
Team Doctor ASKY!