Kidney disease is one of the common situations faced globally affecting around 10-15% of the population. Kidneys play an essential role in our lives where it filters waste products from the body, produces hormones which help in regulating the blood pressure, maintains the fluids in balance, produces urine, helps in the formation of red blood cells and maintain the levels of Vitamin D in the body. There are many other essential tasks performed by our body for which we need to eat a healthy diet rich in foods that help in repairing kidneys. If our kidneys are not working properly, we’ll most likely suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes and others. Diet is the key to maintain healthy kidneys so have a look at the top 10 foods which helps in repairing the kidneys:
- RED GRAPES: red grapes are highly nutritious and delicious at the same time. They are packed with antioxidants i.e. flavonoids which aids in reducing inflammation and are rich in Vitamin C. red grapes are rich in resveratrol that offers beneficial effects to the heart and prevents the person against diabetes along with cognitive health declination. The red grapes are sweet though kidney-friendly.
- GARLIC: we use garlic cloves in most of our dishes but limiting the intake of salt and altering it with garlic offers your taste buds a tantalizing taste. Garlic is rich in nutritional value and is a perfect source of vitamin B6, Vitamin C, manganese and sulfur compounds that offer anti-inflammatory properties to the consumer.
- OLIVE OIL: olive oil is phosphorous-free and is a healthy source of fats which works well for kidney patients. Olive oil has monosaturated fats like oleic acid that offers anti-inflammatory effects to the body. Monosaturated fats remain stable when cooked at high temperatures so you can use them while cooking food for patients suffering from kidney disease.
No time to read? Watch this video…..
- CAULIFLOWER: This vegetable is full of nutrition. It is a perfect source of vitamin B, C, and K. Cauliflower is an excellent source of anti-inflammatory compounds such as indoles and offers fiber. To enjoy a low-potassium diet, mashed cauliflower can be used instead of potatoes and enjoy the flavorful taste.
- CABBAGE: it is a type of cruciferous vegetable which is loaded with minerals, vitamins along with essential plant compounds. Cabbage is a perfect source of vitamin C, vitamin and Vitamin B. it offers individuals with insoluble fiber that helps in keeping the digestive system healthy and promotes bowel movements. The best part about cabbage is that it has a low content of potassium, sodium and phosphorous.
- BELL PEPPERS: these bright colorful peppers are rich in nutritional value but have low potassium content. These colored peppers are rich in antioxidants like vitamin C. it also comprises Vitamin A which is essential for improving the immune functions especially in people suffering from kidney disease.
- MACADAMIA NUTS: nuts are usually rich in potassium due to which they are not advised for a kidney-friendly diet. Instead, it is advised to consume macadamia nuts which are a delicious option for people who have impaired kidneys. They have low phosphorous content and are rich in manganese, iron, copper, magnesium and vitamin B.
- CRANBERRIES: these berries are perfect for kidneys and urinary tract. These tiny fruits are rich in phytonutrients i.e. A-type proanthocyanidins that prevent the individual against bacteria that attacks the bladder lining and urinary tract lining where it can result in infections. Cranberries for affective for people with kidney disease and for those who suffer from urinary tract infections.
- PINEAPPLE: Pineapple is a tropical fruit that is low in potassium when compared to other tropical fruits. It is rich in manganese, fiber, bromelain, vitamin C and others which aids in reducing inflammation.
- SKINLESS CHICKEN: it is essential for patients suffering from kidney disease that they should limit the intake of proteins. Skinless chicken has low potassium, sodium, and phosphorus which helps in keeping the kidneys functioning.
Consume these healthy foods and feel the difference in kidney functioning.
Until Next Time,
Team Doctor ASKY!