Dandruff is a common skin problem that nearly all people experience at some point in their life regardless of their age and color. These are dry, white flakes of waxy, oily skin that brush off your scalp due to oil production. It is harmless but can be embarrassing and itchy as well. It has nothing to do with your hair or how often you wash your hair but about your scalp’s skin. These are skin cells that grow and die off too quickly.
The exact cause of dandruff is not clear yet. It may be due to a common fungus called Malassezia that generally lives on healthy adults’ scalp without causing any harm. Another common cause is seborrheic dermatitis or seborrhea. It is a common skin disease that causes an itchy rash with flaky scales. It can also spread to other parts of the body such as the ears, the center of the face, and the chest’s center. Dandruff may get worse when you’re stressed or sick. Cold and dry seasons may trigger dandruff or make it worse. Dandruff affects up to 50% of people.
7 Highly Recommended Remedies to Getting Rid of Dandruff
1.Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar:
Take four tablespoons of baking soda and mix it with two tablespoons of water to make a thick paste. Apply it on the scalp by creating sections of hair. It acts as a scrub for the skin of the scalp. Rub it gently while you apply it to the base of the hair. Leave it for 20-25 minutes, and then wash your hair to eradicate the scrub. It leads to the next step, and that is to shampoo your hair. You can use any shampoo that is available at home. Take 4 to 6 tablespoons of shampoo, or according to your hair length, mix it with two tablespoons of lemon juice and four tablespoons of water. Mix it well until a diluted paste. Apply it to your hair and wash it out. The third step is to make an essence for your hair that will prevent dandruff, any fungal infection and maintain a balanced pH level of the scalp. Take four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and eight tablespoons of water and mix it well. Pour the mixture into a water bottle and spray it on the scalp after drying your hair up to 75%. After you’re done with the spray, wipe your scalp with a towel and dry your hair. It is the best natural remedy to get rid of dandruff. You can apply it twice a week until the dandruff goes off completely.
2.Coconut Oil with Lemon:
Coconut oil is best to keep hair nourished, but it turns into a perfect remedy for removing dandruff permanently when mixed with lemon juice.
Follow these simple steps:
- Take two tablespoons of coconut oil and mix it with some lemon juice
- You can apply the mixture to your scalp and massage it gently
- Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it off with any shampoo you use
Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) are a perfect cure for preventing dandruff and minimizing its deteriorating effects. Also, it is commonly available and cheap as well.
- Put some fenugreek seeds in a small bowl of water and let them soak overnight.
- In the morning, strain the water and mash the seeds to a paste-like substance by grinding it. Then add little lemon juice to the paste and mix it well.
- Apply the paste on your scalp and leave it to dry for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a shampoo and allow your hair to dry to see the effects.
4. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera has natural properties of mildly exfoliating the skin and has a cooling effect. It has both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Take two tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a bowl. Squeeze 7-8 drops of lemon in it and mix it well.
- Add four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the same mixture and stir it until it is mixed well.
- Add four tablespoons of shampoo in it and keep mixing.
- Now apply the mixture gently on your scalp and give yourself a good massage.
- Leave it for 20-25 minutes. You may wear a headcover to keep the moisture packed.
- Shampoo your hair. You may apply the conditioner too.
Neem is an excellent source of antibacterial and antifungal properties and is used in almost all skin modifications. Also, it has been one of the main ingredients in most shampoos. Since dandruff can be attributed to fungal growth on the scalp, neem can be the best remedy to get rid of such ailments. Nature is the best source to treat with this old-age remedy. Mostly, it is advised to use the diluted version of neem instead of the concentrated one. You can take 18-20 leaves of neem. Wash it under the tap to remove any dirt. Take some water in a pan, put the leaves in it, and let it heat until it boils. Let the water boil until half of it remains. You can apply it to the scalp and let it dry. You can wash it after 20 minutes. However, if it irritates your skin, you can use any other remedy.
6. Orange Peel
Orange peel works as a good remedy for treating dandruff at home. Orange peel contains calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, and dietary fibers, all of the essential ingredients. For treating dandruff, orange peel can be used as follow:
- Take orange peel and squeeze some lemon into it.
- Add it into a grinder and mix it until it turns into a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and let it dry for 30 minutes.
- After that, you can wash it with an anti-dandruff shampoo.
You can do it thrice a week and keep doing it until dandruff goes away.
Vinegar is not only a food component but has medicinal properties as well. The acidic content of vinegar can kill the lousy fungus and can be seen as an easy remedy to get rid of dandruff. It can also help in treating other skin problems such as acne and itchiness in the scalp.
It has elementary steps to follow:
- Take 2 cups of vinegar and 1 cup of water.
- Boil two cups of vinegar and keep it aside to let it cool.
- After it cools down, mix one-eighth cups of water to the vinegar.
- You can use this mixture to clean your scalp and rinse it away with shampoo.
It is always recommended to do the patch test. If the mixture irritates your skin, you can further dilute it. Use this remedy twice a week. Apply the mixture before you shampoo your hair. Vinegar will remove the dryness and itchiness that you are facing.
No remedy can benefit you if used once a week or not repeated after that. Every treatment has its method of use and should be followed in the same manner. Dandruff, though a harmless and non-contagious condition but is highly embarrassing and irritating too. You have to use these remedies, whichever suits you the best until dandruff is minimized or goes off completely. Instead of using over-the-counter products that may worsen your dandruff, it is best recommended to use these natural hacks.
Until Next Time,
Team Doctor ASKY!