Home Remedies to Treat Vertigo
What is Vertigo?
Most of us might be unaware of the term as it is not that common like Diabetes or Hypertension. Vertigo is a condition or sensation in which one’s brain start sending impulses to the body that his body is incapable to keep the balance while actually, it is not. So, it is more of a mental condition which could be a symptom of an underlying disease and not a diagnosis/disease by itself. A person keeps feeling dizzy maybe all the time or only once in a while.
Various Types of Vertigo:
These are basically inner ear troubles that lead to vertigo or sensation of imbalance in the body. There are different leading causes of inner ear troubles which are as follow:
- Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo:
BPPV is the most common type of vertigo. It is caused by deposits that fill up in your ears which is meant to navigate the balance of the body. An ear injury may lead to this deposition.
- Vestibular Neuronitis:
It may be due to some viral infection in the inner ear and can be severe enough to cause a dizziness for at least 2-3 weeks.
- Meniere’s Disease:
It is even more severe and may cause a hearing loss too. The cause is yet unknown but caffeine, alcohol, stress, eating salt can be a trigger to this condition.
Viral infection of the inner ear.
- Perilymph fistula
The cause may be a head injury or sudden pressure change such as in scuba diving or skydiving.
- Superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome (SSCDS)
It can be due to a breakdown in the bony part of the canal that carries fluid to the inner ear.
Home Remedies for Vertigo:
The research has shown that Epley maneuver, also known as “Canalith” repositioning maneuver is the topmost strategy to deal with vertigo, especially BBPV type. It is a simple procedure which can easily be practiced at home.
- Sit straight on a flat floor with a cushion or pillow on your back and legs outstretched.
- Turn your head 45 degrees to the right.
III. With your head in the same position, quickly bend back on your pillow and stay there for at least 30 seconds, following the same position.
- Now slowly turn your head to the left at an angle of 90, without lifting your neck from the pillow.
- Slowly engage your whole body and turn it to the left side.
- Return to your normal position, lifting up your body slowly and straight up.
You might ask someone to help you with these steps with your head and body. you may also feel dizzy during any of these steps but just keep practicing these positions three times in a row to get all the benefits of this potential exercise.
It is quite similar to Epley maneuver in its positions but requires less flexibility in the neck than does the Epley. It is also an effective exercise to treat vertigo at home.
- Take a start by the same step as described above, sitting straight with legs outstretched and a pillow on the back.
- Lie back on the pillow, turning to your right but looking on the left side with eyes looking upward.
III. Quickly sit up and turn the body and head to your left side. But this time you will be looking down on the ground.
- Slowly turn to your normal sitting position looking forward and sitting straight up.
You need to focus while practicing every step otherwise it will be of no use. Take care of your movements as well like where you need to slow down or quickly take the step.
This is one of the easiest exercises for the ones suffering from vertigo as it does not require any assistance just like above two exercises. But prior the exercise, make sure that you are in a safe place to perform Brandt-Daroff and also you might not be driving afterward. As the steps may make you feel dizzy for a short period after the exercise.
- Sit on a flat surface with your legs swaying loosely on the floor.
- Turn your head to the left as much as you can, then lay down with your head and torso on the right side. Your legs should not move while these steps Stay in that position for at least 3o seconds.
- Sit up straight with your head back to the center position.
- Now, time to repeat the exercise on opposite side. Like turning your head to the right to its maximum and then laying down with your head and torso to right up and lifting up again.
This exercise can be done in a set of 5, 3 times a day but twice a week. That will be enough to get the best results from this exercise.
- Gingko Biloba
It is as effective as an effective medicine to treat vertigo as prescribed by a doctor. This is not an exercise but a product that can be purchased in the form of capsule or liquid and is studying to be very effective to lessen the symptoms of vertigo. Only 240 mg of Gingko Biloba extract a day will make you feel more on a balance than feeling dizzy all the time.
- Stress Management
Some of the leading causes of vertigo such as Meniere’s disease is influenced by stress. So, one solution to counter vertigo can be taking a control on the events that trigger stress in such patients. You can either take some medication or deep-breaths to deal with the stress. But long-term stress can’t be cut down that easily, for that you need to figure out what is the cause of your constant stress. You can also read our blog on “How to Deal with Stress”.
- Yoga and Tai Chi
These are best-known exercises so far to deal with stress and improving the flexibility of your body and mind as well. Catch on simple poses of yoga and avoid practicing any pose that involves bending forward as it may trigger a strong vertigo response.
If you are experiencing dizziness for the very first time in your life, it may be due to lack of sleep. Keep a check on your sleeping cycle or rather take a nap to see if the problem continues. Initially taking naps can also resolve the problem to some extent.
©Doctor ASKY – All Rights Reserved