Answering the question, can herpes be cured? might be bit difficult. Herpes simplex virus has two types known as herpes simplex 1 and herpes simplex 2 viri. Both cause different types of infections. HSV1 or Type 1 is known as oral herpes while HSV2 or type 2 is known as the genital virus.
Type 1 causes blisters around the mouth or cold sores. On the other hand, type 2 causes inflammation of genitals like swelling, itching and stinging on genital area etc. Both types are spread through contact with the person having the virus. Pregnant women can pass the virus to the infant. People with the herpes virus have symptoms like fever, fatigue, menstrual disturbances, stress etc.
Herpes virus cannot be cured as the person with virus remains affected for the lifetime but some treatments and remedies can reduce the symptoms.
Can herpes be cured? Some of the remedies are as follow:
- A warm compress can relieve the symptoms. Apply heat compress on the area of soreness and this will in turn help to minimize swelling and pain.
- The cold compress can also be useful. Apply ice on the affected area. This will reduce swelling by causing vasoconstriction.
- Aloe Vera has healing properties so applying it to the inflamed area can give a soothing effect. It can be applied directly on the skin.
- Tea tree oil is known for years to fight against this virus. It is applied to the skin diluted with the certain type of oils like coconut oil and in this way, help to reduce the inflammation.
- Neem extract is known for centuries for having anti-viral properties. In pure form, it can burn the skin so it is diluted with certain oils and then applied on the skin to give the soothing effect.
- Witch hazel oil has also significant anti-viral properties. It can give a soothing effect on the inflamed area. It can be applied directly on the inflamed skin but sometimes it can irritate the skin so applied when mixed with certain oils.
- Baking soda has anti-viral properties. It can reduce itching and swelling. Its paste can be applied on the skin with cotton ball.
- Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties against both strains of herpes virus. It is applied to the skin diluted with the water and then the paste is applied on the sore part. And, in this way, it relieves pain and swelling.
- Garlic has anti-viral properties. It reduces pain and swelling. Garlic is crushed and then mixed with the olive oil. Then apply this diluted mixture on the area affected with virus stain.
- Goat milk has anti-viral properties. A small amount of goat milk is applied to the sore area and in turn help reducing itching and swelling.
- Specific types of oils are available that can give a soothing effect. These oils include thyme essential oil, Greek sage oil, Eucalyptus oil, ginger essential oil, Mexican oregano oil etc.
- Some dietary changes can help relieve symptoms. Diet rich in certain vitamins, minerals, proteins, and other essential substances can boost up the immunity and thus help to fight against the herpes virus.
- Medicines for herpes include Zovirax, Famvir, voltrex etc.
So answer to the question “can herpes be cured?” is a big YES if one follows the remedies mentioned above.